Requests for Proposals for Community Grants
Helping Teens Build 21st Century Technology Skills
For decades people have turned to Best Buy for answers to their technology questions. As technology becomes more ingrained in our society, we know it is increasingly necessary for youth to develop the 21st-century skills that will set them up for future career success. Yet, we also know that a participation gap exists. Too many teens have little or no access to technology and, as a result, they fall behind their peers. Meanwhile, teens who do have access can benefit greatly by moving beyond mere consumption and toward engaging in the learning opportunities technology can offer.
As a Company, and through our Best Buy Children’s Foundation, we are on a mission to provide teens with places and opportunities to develop technology skills that will inspire future education and career choices. We strive to leverage our local community presence, our technology resources and our talented employees to provide new and creative programs to serve our communities.
Best Buy Community Grants
Best Buy Children’s Foundation will donate up to $2 million in Community Grants to local and regional nonprofit organizations that provide teens with places and opportunities to develop 21st century technology skills that will inspire future education and career choices .
Examples of program activities include:
- Computer Programming
- Digital imaging (photography, graphic design, videography)
- Music production
- Gaming and Mobile App Development
Community Grants are designed to support local efforts and are reviewed for consideration by Best Buy teams across the United States. The average grant amount is $5000 and will not exceed $10,000.
Best Buy seeks applications from 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations and public agencies that have tax-exempt status and are giving teens access to opportunities through technology. Minimum eligibility criteria include:
- Organization must provide direct services to build technology skills in teens, ages 13-18
- Eligible nonprofits may be a public or nonprofit community-based organization (e.g., community center, school or library)
- Location must be within 50 miles of a Best Buy store, Best Buy Mobile location, Best Buy Distribution Center, Best Buy Service Center or Best Buy corporate campus. To find store locations, visit www.bestbuy.com/storelocator.
- Organizations that have engaged Best Buy employee volunteers will receive special consideration
- Grants are awarded for one year. We invite grantees to re-apply based on program results, although there are no guarantees of multi-year grants. Previous grantees must submit a report before applying for subsequent funding.
- Community-based out-of-school time programs are eligible
- Organization must serve a diverse population in local or regional communities
- Organization must show positive results against a demonstrated community need and will be required to submit a grantee report
- Organizations within the Twin Cities 7-county metro area are eligible and can apply for Best Buy Children’s Foundation support through the Community Grants Program or Twin Cities Fund, but not both.
How to Apply
- Complete the grant eligibility quiz online at http://www.easymatch.com/bestbuygrant between June 1-July 1, 2013
- Create a user profile and an organization profile.
- Preview the required elements of the grant proposal.
- Identify a Best Buy location near you at www.bestbuy.com/storelocator and enter the store number in the grant proposal.
- Complete the grant proposal by 11:59pm EDT on July 1, 2013.
Proposal Deadlines and Administration
|Grant application opens||June 1, 2013 at http://www.easymatch.com/bestbuygrant|
|Proposal due date||July 1 – Proposal must be submitted online at http://www.easymatch.com/bestbuygrant no later than 11:59 pm EDT on July 1, 2013.|
|Proposal requirements and information||Proposals must be submitted electronically. Hard copy applications will not be considered. Please include a program budget and organization budget. Complete details are at http://www.easymatch.com/bestbuygrant|
|Notification date||September 15, 2013|
|Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org or 866-625-4350.|